It is an inflammatory skin disorder which is very common in teenagers. Outbreaks of pimples, blackheads, whiteheads and cyst occur on the face and sometimes on chest and back. Acne can be caused due to surge of hormones during puberty which stimulates oil-producing glands in the skin and makes them prone towards blockage and infection. Acne tends to clear up over time, but the pimples may leave scars. Factors such as stress
, changes in weather, and using certain cosmetics trigger attacks of acne.
- Acne mainly appears on face, neck, chest, back and shoulders, where there is large number of functional oil glands.
- Acne can take the following forms:
- Papules: Small red tender spots
- Pustules: Pus-filled pimples
- Nodules: Large, solid, painful lumps beneath the surface of the skin
- Cysts: Painful, pus-filled lumps beneath the surface of the skin. These boil-like infections can cause scars.
- Comedones: Blackheads and white heads
- Orange peel:The orange peel is valuable in the treatment of acne. Grind orange peel with some water to make paste and apply on affected areas.
- Almond: Mix almond powder with a little water, and apply the paste to your face. Let it dry and then rinse it off.
- Lemon and Cinnamon: Mix one teaspoon lemon juice in one teaspoon finely-ground cinnamon (dalchini) powder and apply on affected areas frequently.
- Chickpea flour: Mix one teaspoon of chickpea flour with enough water to make paste, and use this mixture to wash your face.
- Honey and cinnamon: Make a paste from three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it off the next morning with warm water. When done daily for two weeks, it removes all pimples from the root.
- Sandalwood: Make a paste of half teaspoon each of sandalwood and turmeric powder in a little water and apply.
- Cumin seeds: Grind some black cumin seeds (shahi jeera) with some vinegar to make a smooth paste and apply on affected parts.
- Coriander: Mix a teaspoon of coriander juice with a pinch of turmeric powder and apply this mixture to the face after thoroughly washing it, every night before retiring.
- Cucumber: The healing packs made of grated cucumber, oatmeal cooked in milk, and cooked, creamed carrots used externally have been found to be effective.
- Potato: Apply the juice of raw potatoes for clearing skin blemishes. This cleansing results from high content of potassium, sulphur, phosphorus and chlorine in the potato.
- Zinc: It should be taken in therapeutic doses of 50mg three times a day. It has shown dramatic results in some cases. After noticeable improvement it can be gradually reduced.
- Emphasis on raw foods, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, sprouted seeds, raw nuts and whole grain cereals, especially millet and brown rice.
- Take fresh juicy fruits such as apples, grapes, pineapple peaches, pears and grapefruit.
- Take a diet rich in vitamin A and E.
- Drink eight to ten glasses of pure water daily.
- Gently wash affected areas twice a day with lukewarm water and a
non-oily, perfume-free, mild soap.
- Keep your hair off your face.
- Keep your colon clean.
- Do aerobic exercise.
- Manage stress, practice deep breathing and relaxation exercise.
- Don’t squeeze pimples.
- Try not to rub or touch your face absentmindedly while you are absorbed in something such as watching TV or reading book.
- Avoid meats, sugar, strong tea or coffee, condiments, pickles, refined and processed foods.
- Restrict starchy, protein and fatty foods.
- Avoid soft drinks, candies, ice-cream and products made with sugar and white flour.
- Avoid oil-based cosmetics and creams and opt for noncomedogenic products.
- Avoid frequent looking in the mirror and feeling bad about the acne.
- Acne has no improvement and is spreading and is red and weepy after using self-help remedies for two month.
- Hair growing on face and having irregular menstrual periods.
This information is not a substitute for professional medical or health advice, examination, diagnosis, or treatment. The site disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information. For more info,