In asthma, there is a widespread airways obstruction, which leads to coughing, wheezing, difficult to breathe and trouble sleeping. In susceptible individuals, asthmatic reactions can be triggered by certain stimuli, such as exercise, cold air, and allergens, including pollen, animal dander, and dust mites. Stress and anxiety can also trigger asthma attack. In some cases, this condition can be life threatening and should be treated accordingly. Natural remedies for asthma can help to reduce the severity and frequency of attacks.
The natural way to treat asthma consists of stimulating the functioning of slack excretory organs, adopting appropriate diet patterns and reconstruct the body. And practising yogasans to permit proper assimilation of food and to strengthen the lungs, digestive system and circulatory system.
Regular fasting once a week, an occasional enema, breathing exercises and a correct posture go a long way in treating asthma.
- Fasting: In severe attack, it tends to destroy appetite so do not force the patient to eat. The patient should fast till the attack is over. However can take a cup of warm water or lemon juice with honey every two hours and thereafter resort to fruit juice diet to nourish the system and eliminate the toxins. Gradually, solid foods can be included. An enema taken at that time will be very beneficial.
- Massage: During the attack massage chest with mustard oil mixed with little camphor. This will loosen up phlegm and ease breathing. Also inhale steam from the boiling water mixed with caraway seeds (ajwain). It helps to dilate the bronchial passage.
- Steam bath: Take steam bath, hot foot bath, hot hip bath and sun bath. This will stimulate the skin and relieve congested lungs.
- Mud-packs: Apply mud-packs to the abdomen which will relieve the fermentation caused by undigested food and will promote intestinal peristalsis.
- Honey: Honey is considered highly beneficial in the treatment of asthma. Eat honey or take either in milk or water. It thins accumulated mucous and helps to eliminate from the respiratory passages. It also prevents the production of mucous in future. One year old honey is recommended for respiratory disease.
- Garlic: Take garlic cloves boiled in 30 gms of milk daily as a cure for early stage of asthma.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is regarded as an effective remedy for bronchial asthma. Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder boiled in a glass of milk two or three time daily. It acts best when taken on an empty stomach.
- Steam inhalation: A steam inhalation of eucalyptus or lavender essential oils can be taken during an attack and immediately afterwards to ease panic and help open airways.
- Ginger and fenugreek: Take one tsp fresh ginger juice mixed with a cup of fenugreek decoction and honey to taste. This mixture acts as a excellent expectorant.
- Carrot and spinach: Take 2/3 glass of carrot juice and 1/3 glass of spinach juice thrice a day.
- Onion: Take 1/4 cup of onion juice, add 1 teaspoon honey and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and drink; which will relieve congestion and alleviate breathlessness and is effective for immediate relief of asthma.
- Eat less than your capacity. Eat slowly and chew food properly.
- Take last meal preferably before sunset or at least two hours before going to bed.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day, but avoid taking water or any liquid with meals.
- Do breathing exercise.
- Use dust mite protectors and an air purifier in home.
- Avoid foods which tend to produce phlegm such as rice, sugar, lentils, curd, fried and difficult to digest foods.
- Avoid dusty places or the things that make symptoms worse, such as cigarette smoke or allergens (triggers).
- Avoid most dairy products, including all cheeses.
- Avoid fermented foods.
- Avoid stress.
- Chest pain, swollen feet and profuse sweating along with difficult
- History of heart problems.
This information is not a substitute for professional medical or health advice, examination, diagnosis, or treatment. The site disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information. For more info,