Hay Fever is also known as allergic rhinitis. Hay fever usually develops immediately after exposure to specific allergy-causing substances (allergens). Common allergens include pollen, dust mites, cockroaches, mold and pet dander. Symptoms include sneezing, itchy and watery eyes, cough, and a runny or stuffed nose. You may also develop wheezing. Symptoms can develop at any time from early spring to early fall, depending on which pollens or molds trigger the allergy. Hay fever tends to run in families that have a high incidence of allergic conditions such as asthma and eczema, but many people seem to grow out of the problem as they get older.
Hay Fever Symptoms
- Runny nose or nasal congestion.
- Frequent sneezing and cough.
- Red, sore, gritty eyes.
- Watery or itchy eyes.
- Itchy nose, roof of mouth or throat.
- Decreased sense of smell or taste.
Home Remedies for Hay Fever
- Petroleum jelly: To stop irritation in your nose, apply little petroleum jelly or ghee inside your nose.
- Grapefruit and lemon: Add some honey to boiled minced grapefruit and lemon. Have this solution three times a day.
- Chamomile: Boil chamomile in water and inhale fumes from the water.
- Honey: Eat the local honey.
- Honey and apple cider vinegar: Add a teaspoon of honey and 6-8 drops of apple cider vinegar to a cup of hot water, and drink early morning.
- Nettle tea: Drink nettle tea to increase resistance.
Do’s for Hay Fever
- Take a shower and wash hair before bed to remove pollen that has built up during the day.
- Try to stay indoors as much as possible when the pollen count is high
usually on hot, dry, windy days at midmorning and early evening.
- Drink 6-8 glasses of pure water daily.
Don’ts for Hay Fever
- Avoid going out early in the morning or late in the evening.
- Avoid mowing the lawn or raking leaves, which stirs up pollen and molds.
- Avoid flour, sugar, salt and dairy products for one week.
- Avoid smoking and air pollutants.
- Avoid using nasal spray continuously for three days. It may increase congestion of nose.
- If there is no improvement after using home treatments for 2-3 weeks.