Flu is a viral illness which is highly contagious that tends to occur in epidemics during winter. It is spread through coughs or sneezing of infected person and also by direct contact with contaminated things like handkerchiefs. Symptoms occur within 24-48 hours after exposure to the infection developing sudden fever, shivering, headache
, dry cough
, body ache, runny nose, and sore throat
. Person will begin to feel better after 4-5 days, but may feel tired and continue coughing for several weeks. Sometimes, flu leads to an infection such as ear infection, sinusitis
, and pneumonia.
- A 100F or higher fever or feeling feverish (not everyone with the flu has a fever)
- A cough and/or sore throat
- A runny or stuffy nose
- Headaches and/or body aches
- Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea (most common in children)
- Lemon and honey: Add one teaspoon of lemon and one teaspoon of honey in one glass of warm water. Drink once or twice daily.
- Basil: Drink a tea made by boiling one teaspoon basil leaves (tulsi) in water.
- Honey: Give a half-teaspoon of honey to children ages 2 to 5; 1 teaspoon to children ages 6 to 11; and 2 teaspoons to those 12 and older, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends. Do not give honey to babies younger than 1 because of the risk of infant botulism.
- Long Pepper: Take half teaspoon long pepper powder, mix with two teaspoon of honey and half teaspoon of ginger juice, this mixture should be taken 3-4 times a day. It will help to avoid complications related to larynx and bronchial tube.
- Ajwain: Try chewing ajwan mixed with 1 teaspoon natural organic sugar. This will relieve dry cough.
- Turmeric: Boil 1 cup milk with teaspoon turmeric and teaspoon ginger and drink this at night. This will relieve the cough due to pharyngitis or laryngitis.
- Ginger: Ginger tea is helpful in curing flu. Prepare a tea by adding 2-3 slices of ginger and consume it at regular intervals.
- Onion and Honey: Mix equal amounts of onion juice and honey. Consume 3 to 4 teaspoon of this mixture daily.
- Fenugreek seeds: Prepare decoction by boiling one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in half liter of water, till it is reduced to 1/3rd. Add a one teaspoon of fresh ginger juice and honey to flavor. Drink this mixture once a day.
- Take adequate rest.
- Improve immunity.
- Drink plenty of fluids, such as water, soups, or fruit juice. For children, give them what they’re accustomed to drinking. For babies, stick to breast milk or formula for those younger than 6 months. An oral electrolyte solution for infants.
- Take steam inhalation.
- Soft foods such as puddings, Popsicles, chicken soup, gelatin desserts, and ice cream can feel good to a scratchy throat.
- Put humidifier in your room to make breathing easier
- Gargle with salt water (1:1 ratio warm water to salt) to soothe a sore throat
- Covering up with a warm blanket to calm chills
- Take Vitamin C to boost immune system and increase the number of white blood cells.
- Avoid sugar.
- Do not smoke, and avoid smoky environments.
- Avoid meat, fish, eggs and starchy foods.
See doctor immediately if:
- Symptoms have not begun to clear up within a week.
- Develop other symptoms such as breathing problems, cough with green or bloody mucus.
- Sudden dizziness
- Purple or blue discoloration of the lips
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Flu-like symptoms that improve but then return with fever and worse cough
This information is not a substitute for professional medical or health advice, examination, diagnosis, or treatment. The site disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information. For more info,