Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Hypoglycemia is a condition in which level of sugar, or glucose, in the blood drops too low to fuel the body. It is most often found in people with diabetes, as a side of the diabetic drug insulin. There are two main types of hypoglycemia: fasting and reactive. Fasting hypoglycemia results from prolonged fasting, excess alcohol consumption, and due to some medication. Reactive hypoglycemia develops within 2 to 4 hours after eating and the person craves something sweet. It occurs when the pancreas secretes too much of insulin in response to a large intake of sugar. Mild to moderate hypoglycemia symptoms are sweating, nervousness, quivering, fatigue
, blurry vision, and headaches
. More severe hypoglycemia can lead to loss of consciousness, seizures, and coma and may be fatal.
In Extreme Cases:
- Pale skin.
- Shakiness and sweating.
- Weakness and fatigue.
- Heart palpitation.
- Confusion or abnormal behavior.
- Blurred vision or double vision.
- Tingling sensation around the mouth.
- Loss of consciousness.
- Sugar: Eat sugar in the form of candy, cubes, or tablets or any quick sugar food.
- Orange or pomegranate: If feeling drowsy, drink a juice of pomegranate or orange.
- Apple: Eat an apple with their peels after each meal.
- Licorice: If feeling lightheaded or faint or have other hypoglycemic symptoms, drink licorice tea.( Don’t drink this tea, if you have hypertension).
- Take proper rest.
- Do yoga or meditation.
- Do not try to give anything to eat or drink or put anything in the mouth if
the person is unconscious and is having seizures.
- Avoid hot spicy foods, fermented food.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol, and soft drinks.
- Avoid refined and processed foods, white sugar, and white flour and also
reduce salt intake.
See doctor immediately if:
- Person is unconscious or having seizures.
- The person becomes more sleepy or lethargic.
This information is not a substitute for professional medical or health advice, examination, diagnosis, or treatment. The site disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information. For more info,