Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes lining the sinuses, which are air-filled pockets located behind the nose, cheeks, and forehead. Sinusitis is usually due to a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection. It causes pain and tenderness around the eyes and cheeks; a stuffy or runny nose; sometimes toothache
and pain in jaw. The patient may also have a foul taste and feel feverish.
- Blocked or runny nose.
- Bad breath.
- Reduced sense of smell and taste.
- Pain, tenderness, swelling and pressure around your eyes, cheeks, nose or forehead.
- Headaches and the sensation of a build-up of pressure in the head.
- Cough, which may be worse at night.
- Warm compress: Put a warm, moist washcloth over face for 5 to 10 minutes several times a day to relieve pain.
- Steam inhalation: Take steam inhalation— Fill a bowl one-third full with hot water and add 3 to 5 drops of eucalyptus oil. Cover your head with a towel, lean over the bowl, and inhale the steam.
- Nasal drop: Make a mild saline solution by dissolving 1/2 teaspoon salt into 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Instill 3 to 4 drops of the solution into each nostril with a dropper 6 times a day to help loosen mucus in the nasal passages.
- Cinnamon: Mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with enough water to make a paste, and apply paste on head to relieve sinus headache.
- Fenugreek: Take a tea prepared by boiling one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in 2 cup of water till it is reduced to half. Take 3 to 4 cups daily during severe sinus attack.
- Drink plenty of fluids to help keep your mucus thin.
- Blow your nose gently.
- Get plenty of rest. Sleep with your head raised.
- Sleep on your side which helps to make breath easier.
- Avoid cold, polluted, or smoky atmospheres.
- Avoid dairy products, especially cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.
- Avoid forceful nose blowing.
This information is not a substitute for professional medical or health advice, examination, diagnosis, or treatment. The site disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information. For more info,