Hypoglycemia is a condition in which level of sugar, or glucose, in the blood drops too low to fuel the body. It is most often found in people with diabetes, as a side of the diabetic drug insulin. There are two main types of hypoglycemia: fasting and reactive. Fasting hypoglycemia results from prolonged fasting, excess alcohol consumption, and due to some medication. Reactive hypoglycemia develops within 2 to 4 hours after eating and the person craves something sweet. It occurs when the pancreas secretes too much of insulin in response to a large intake of sugar. Mild to moderate hypoglycemia symptoms are sweating, nervousness, quivering, fatigue, blurry vision, and headaches. More severe hypoglycemia can lead to loss of consciousness, seizures, and coma and may be fatal.
Low Blood Sugar Symptoms
- Pale skin.
- Shakiness and sweating.
- Weakness and fatigue.
- Heart palpitation.
- Confusion or abnormal behavior.
- Blurred vision or double vision.
- Tingling sensation around the mouth.
In Extreme Cases:
- Loss of consciousness.
Home Remedies for Low Blood Sugar
- Sugar: Eat sugar in the form of candy, cubes, or tablets or any quick sugar food.
- Orange or pomegranate: If feeling drowsy, drink a juice of pomegranate or orange.
- Apple: Eat an apple with their peels after each meal.
- Licorice: If feeling lightheaded or faint or have other hypoglycemic symptoms, drink licorice tea.( Don’t drink this tea, if you have hypertension).
Do’s for Low Blood Sugar
- Take proper rest.
- Do yoga or meditation.
Don’ts for Low Blood Sugar
- Do not try to give anything to eat or drink or put anything in the mouth if the person is unconscious and is having seizures.
- Avoid hot spicy foods, fermented food.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol, and soft drinks.
- Avoid refined and processed foods, white sugar, and white flour and also reduce salt intake.
See doctor immediately if:
- Person is unconscious or having seizures.
- The person becomes more sleepy or lethargic.
★★ Get our FREE Mobile app, Recommended by 80+ Doctors. Stay Healthy! ★★