In tinnitus, there is a ringing, buzzing, or hissing noise that seems to be generated inside the ears or head with no external source for the sound. Tinnitus can affect sleep and concentration, and may lead to depression and anxious over time. Tinnitus is often linked to hearing loss, particularly in later life, or to repeated exposure to loud noise. Stress may make the problem worse. Air travel, high blood pressure, earwax buildup, certain inner ear problems, and some medications can contribute to tinnitus. Sometimes, there is no apparent cause.
- Ringing, buzzing, hissing, or clicking noises in the ear.
- Noises are constant or intermittent.
- Intensity and loudness of noise can vary.
Home Remedies for Tinnitus
- Herbal tea: Prepare a tea made from equal amounts of comfrey, cinnamon, and chamomile. Steep up to 1 teaspoon of this mixture per cup, and drink 2 or 3 times a day.
- Sesame oil: Gently rub warm sesame oil behind the ears twice a day.
- Ear drop: Place 2-3 drops of garlic oil into the ears at night before going to bed.
Do’s for Tinnitus
- Eat low-salt diet. Add less salt when cooking and use herbs and spices
- Include plenty of healthy foods such as fruit and vegetables in your diet.
- Wear protective earplugs or earmuffs in noisy places as loud noise may
make tinnitus worse.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise improves blood flow to the structures of the
- Manage stress. Try meditation or deep breathing exercises.
- Try using other sounds to distract you and mask the tinnitus. When trying
to sleep, put on a fan, play soft music, listen to a ticking clock, or tune a
Don’ts for Tinnitus
- Avoid alcohol, tonic water, and tobacco smoke.
- Cut down on caffeinated drinks such as coffee and cola.
- Avoid extended periods of exercise, such as bicycle riding, that keep your
neck in a hyper extended position.
- If you suspect you have tinnitus, see your doctor. Tinnitus isn’t something
See doctor again if:
- Tinnitus gets worse, or does not respond to the treatment.
- Feel dizzy or sick.
- Develop hearing loss.
★★ Get our FREE Mobile app, Recommended by 80+ Doctors. Stay Healthy! ★★