Nosebleeds are common in children, but some adults have them occasionally, too. Nosebleed has many possible origins. Common causes include nose picking and forceful nose blowing, but nosebleeds often occur for no obvious reason. Nose is more likely to bleed if its delicate lining is irritated because of a cold or an allergy, or if it becomes dry and cracked due to a dry atmosphere. Sometimes bleeding is due to symptom of an underlying illness such as high blood pressure, kidney disease, blood clotting disorders.
- Bleeding from one or both nostrils.
Home Remedies for Nosebleed
- Water: Drink cool water. Sometimes, this alone will stop nosebleed.
- Pinch your nose: Firmly pinch the soft part of nose with your thumb and index finger for 5- 10 minutes, breathe through the mouth.
- Take a little cool water in your palm, inhale it up into the nose, and gently blow the nose.
- Ice pack: Apply an ice pack to your nose and cheeks. Cold will constrict the blood vessels and help stop the bleeding.
- Nasal drops: If the bleeding doesn’t stop, put a couple of drops of lukewarm ghee(clarified butter) in each nostril. Ghee is haemostatic — it stops bleeding.
Do’s for Nosebleed
- Drink cranberry juice or pomegranate juice.
- Use a humidifier in dry, heated rooms.
- Rub petroleum jelly inside your nostril, if you are prone to nosebleeds because your nose tends to be dry and crusted inside.
Don’ts for Nosebleed
- Avoid drinking hot liquids or alcohol, or smoking.
- Avoid hot and spicy foods.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 24 hours after nosebleed has occurred.
- Don’t push tissues or cotton balls into nostril to stop bleeding.
- Try not to blow your nose for 24 hours after a nosebleed.
- Don’t pick your nose.
- Don’t work under the hot sun.
- Nosebleed cannot be stopped after 10 to 20 minutes of direct pressure.
- Have severe bleeding.
- Have hit head or neck.
- Getting recurrent nosebleeds.
- Taking aspirin or any blood-thinning medication.
- Feeling generally unwell or bruising easily.
★★ Get our FREE Mobile app, Recommended by 80+ Doctors. Stay Healthy! ★★