Here are few tips:
- Keep the affected area clean, dry, and exposed to air as much as possible. Don't scratch or burst the blisters.
- Apply wet, cool compresses to reduce pain.
- Get plenty of rest and avoid strenuous activities.
- Avoid stress, which can worsen pain. Relaxation techniques, including listening to music or doing tai chi, might help.
- Dust colloidal oatmeal powder (which is available over the counter) where clothes rub against skin or take a warm bath with colloidal oatmeal may reduce itch and pain.
An episode of shingles usually heals on its own within a few weeks, but prompt treatment can ease pain, speed healing and reduce risk of complications. Consult physician.