Doctors typically use antibiotics to treat urinary tract infections. Make sure you take the entire course of antibiotics prescribed by your doctor to ensure that the infection is completely gone.
For prevention here are tips:
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially water. Also drink 2-3 glasses of unsweetened cranberry juice. It allows bacteria to be flushed from your urinary tract before an infection can begin.
- Wipe from front to back after urination. Doing so helps prevent bacteria in the anal region from spreading to the vagina and urethra.
- Empty your bladder soon after intercourse. Also, drink a full glass of water to help flush bacteria.
- Practice stress reduction techniques.
- Avoid irritating soap, take shower rather than baths.
- Wear loose clothing, avoid underwear made from synthetic materials such as nylon.