Most genital itching and irritation isn't a major concern. But sometimes it can be a symptom of an infection so it is better to consult doctor. Some of the common causes are Bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection, STDs, menopause or due to chemical irritants.
Here are a few tips:
- Keep your external genital area clean. During regular baths or showers, use a very small amount of mild, unscented, antibacterial soap and lots of water.. But don't wash more than once a day. Doing so can increase dryness.
- Avoid scented pads or toilet paper, creams, bubble bath, feminine sprays, and douches.
- Always wipe from front to back after having a bowel movement.
- Wear cotton panties and change your underwear every day.
- Avoid sexual intercourse until your symptoms improve.
- Don't scratch.