Here are some tips:
- If you are overweight, work to slowly lose weight.
- Avoid foods that trigger heartburn such as fatty or fried foods, alcohol, chocolate, mint, garlic, onion and caffeine.
- Don't lie down after a meal at least wait for two to three hours after eating.
- Elevate the head of your bed about six to nine inches.
- If you smoke, quit smoking.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothing around your waist which can put pressure on your abdomen and the lower esophageal sphincter.
- Try to keep stress at bay by doing breathing exercise and meditation.